While recognising the right of parents to enrol their child in the school of their choice, the Board of Management of St. Fintan’s NS takes cognisance of the rights of the existing school community, and in particular, the children already enrolled. This requires balanced judgements in deciding questions of enrolments, guided by the principles of natural justice and acting in the best interest of all of the children.
Account is taken of the following:
- Equality of access and participation in the school
- Parental choice in relation to enrolment
- Respect for the diversity of values, beliefs, traditions, languages and ways of life in society.
- Inclusiveness, particularly with reference to the enrolment of children with a disability or other special educational need.
The Board of Management reserves the right to determine the maximum number of children in each class bearing in mind, in particular
- Department of Education and Skills guidelines on class size
- The size of classrooms and available space
- The educational needs of children in a particular age group
- That multi-grade classes may be necessary
- The presence of children with special education/behavioural needs
- The parameters of the school’s Health and Safety Policy
For current classes the maximum class size is 30 children (and from September 2017 the maximum class size for new classes will be 28 children) with due regard for the Department of Education and Skills’ regulations on Appointment and Retention figures for National Schools.